Principal Analytics Engineer - Viator
Data isn’t just a number at Viator, it’s a product that serves as a key input to nearly every decision we make. We are seeking a Principal Analytics Engineer to serve as an advocate for our data; someone to help the Data Platform Team team optimize Viator’s data models, improve the usability and discoverability of our data, and ultimately increase its impact.
The Data Platform Team develops the platform, infrastructure, and tools that make up Viator’s data ecosystem. Sitting within this team, the ideal Principal Analytics Engineer candidate is experienced with supporting multiple products and various stakeholders, both technical and non-technical - someone with a strong understanding of the business and the ability to weigh business needs against technical requirements . This role will be partnering closely with our engineering, data engineering, finance, and analytics teams across a wide range of projects.
Responsibilities We are seeking a Principal Analytics Engineer who will have the curiosity and drive to move forward data and business intelligence projects of both strategic and tactical importance within a large, fast moving, and data driven organization. This role will work with a wide variety of stakeholders to ensure that the data used to drive business decisions is accurate, timely, and accessible
- Execute strategic projects to create opportunities for data driven decision making. For example, identifying areas where existing data may be insufficient then researching and crafting a plan for improvement.
- Make tactical improvements to a complex data infrastructure. For example, overseeing a project to centralize and standardize similar data coming from different sources.
- Forensic data investigation—investigating and diagnosing often complex data interaction issues.
- Effectively and easily communicate business requirements to technical stakeholders and technical requirements to business stakeholders.
- Work with people in a variety of functions across the business to satisfy their data and reporting needs—finance, marketing, analytics, product, and engineering
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical or business related field (Mathematics, Information Systems, Computer Science, or related Engineering) Master's Degree a plus
- 5+ years in an analytical or business intelligence role (ideal backgrounds include: a similar Analytics Engineering role at a web company, a data-based consulting role, or other data strategy type positions)
- Advanced SQL and data skills for data modeling with large, complex datasets
- Ability to communicate effectively with people across multiple functions
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills and a desire to work independently to proactively solve a variety of data problems in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated strength in data modeling and data warehousing to solve analytics needs across the business
- Confidence in manipulating, processing, and extracting value from large datasets
- Experience in reporting and data visualization with automated self-service reporting tools
- Knowledge of e-commerce and web and native app analytics a plus
- Knowledge of financial data and ledger-based systems a plus
Does the idea of transforming Viator’s data and analytics capabilities using the latest tech appeal to you? If so, then we’d love to hear from you!