Country General Manager
Who we are
The Travel Collection was born from the desire to showcase the beauty of a country and the uniqueness of its culture to travelers from around the world. From must-see sites to hidden gems, our philosophy is to showcase authenticity through personalized and unique experiences. Our detail-oriented approach and in-depth location knowledge, paired with our extensive network, allows us to deliver a truly unparalleled experience for our customers.
Travel Collection is in the business of changing perspectives. We create experiences that open minds and invite guests to build a lasting connection with our home. In this way travel can be more than tourism, it can be a unifying experience that makes the global feel a bit more local. Our mission is to help customers truly experience each country and leave with unique and lifelong memories.
About the role
As a General Manager, you’ll be responsible for launching a new country and fully owning the P&L and growth trajectory of the business. You’re excited to “zoom in” and “zoom out” on a daily basis to both execute and guide the strategy of the business.
You won’t start from scratch - you will be rolling out a playbook based on over a decade of experience by our co-founders who built the leading travel operator in Morocco from the ground up. They’ve since expanded into Italy and France, with a central team in charge of delivering support functions (marketing, BD, finance, HR) so that you can focus on building the sales and operations structure in your country.
- Build the foundation
- Execute using a tried and tested playbook for market entry
- Design your own travel brand
- Develop a strategic understanding of the local travel market including competitor landscape
- Identify and prioritize relationships with key suppliers, partners, and leading experience providers
- Track and monitor against a playbook of key performance indicators to drive focus and execution
- Scale growth
- Own our strategic partnerships - grow personal relationships with leading channels., suppliers, partners, and experience providers
- Execute a playbook of channel activation developed by the group
- Identify unlocks to create step-change growth in our business. Spot our biggest gaps to doubling growth and attack them with rigorous focus
- See around corners. Chart the path for future growth within your country and build a plan for getting there - what sub-categories we’ll expand into and what we’ll do next
- As the country grows, hire and lead a team of strong sales and operations specialists
- Be a steward of our product. Ensure that we’re meeting the needs of our customers while consistently achieving excellent customer service
- Be a trusted member of the leadership team
Travel and Tourism is roughly a $1 trillion dollar industry and travelers of all ages, resources, and experience are looking for more “authentic travel” — engaging and meaningful experiences as close to 'the real deal' as they can get.
Brian Chesky, founder of AirBnb, recently said “I think somebody could build a business the size of Airbnb just with experiences. We haven’t figured it out, maybe we will. I think somebody could build a hundred billion company just with experiences.”
Travel Collection’s mission is to bring authentic experiences to the world, through a tried and tested playbook, established through the growing success of the Moroccan, Italian, and French businesses.
Who you are
- You are passionate about travel, whether with previous work experience or a seasoned traveler, you must be in love with what we do
- You are comfortable operating as a team of 1 and will get in the weeds to produce results in a highly ambiguous environment. You are scrappy and no job is too small.
- You have a track record of successfully managing and growing a business unit , organization, or product line
- You are a world-class leader with experience hiring, managing, and developing a team
- You are a strong strategic thinker and problem-solver, with the ability to make sound decisions under pressure
- You have sound business acumen, including financial management, budgeting, and P&L responsibility
- You have experience working in diverse cultural contexts with agility to adapt to different business environments
- 4-10 years of work experience with a demonstrated ability to lead and deliver complex projects
- MBA from top tier school
- Native of the country you are applying (or lived in country for 10+ years)
- Full business proficiency of English and native country language (a third language is a plus)
- A demonstrated curiosity in and passion for travel
What we offer
- A one-of-a-kind entrepreneurial track with lower risk and higher upside due to our tried and tested playbook
- A young, dynamic, fast-paced and fun environment
- Competitive base salary
- Ownership at the group level (via an employee share option scheme ‘ESOP’)
- Ownership and development of your country PnL
- Professional development opportunities across the group