Sr Fullstack software engineer (web) - HTS
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2023
About the job
We are looking for a full-stack software engineer to help build out a new team as part of our Hopper Technology Solutions group. This new team will take on a new partnership which will include both API and web solutions.
You will work as part of a cross-functional team of exceptional engineers, designers and product managers to bring new features to market and provide best in class support for our partners to scale our joint business.
A successful candidate loves to build and demonstrates high ownership about outcomes, and constantly looks for and finds creative ways to deliver quality results quickly.
What would your day-to-day look like:
- Design, build and operate API and full-stack solutions
- Our group operates with very few meetings and emphasizes strong alignment and asynchronous decision making
- Build and operate robust and performant infrastructure that supports millions of bookings per year
- Solve complex technical and software architecture problems
- Ship your first code in days, iterating on features in an agile manner
- Leverage and contribute to a rich microservice architecture system
- Execute on big opportunities, helping Hopper rise to the top of the travel industry
- Collaborate cross functionally with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Thoughtfully assist with the evolution and automation of our operational processes
An ideal candidate has:
- Thrived in mobile technologies and delivered delightful user experiences at scale
- Has full stack background
- Solid understanding of microservices architecture and ability to autonomously develop Scala or Java microservices (Scala or Java knowledge is a plus but not strictly required, some experience with the JVM is strongly preferred)
- Experience building and managing multiple external API integrations
- Experience and strong ability to design APIsProfessional experience developing data-heavy platforms or APIs
- Experience working with gRPC/Protobuf
- Functional programming experience strongly preferred (Java, Scala, etc…)
- Solid understanding of Cloud Platforms (AWS or GCP knowledge is a plus)
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs and scales
Perks of working with us:
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options/ RSUs
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexport All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401K plan
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the leading travel platform globally – powering Hopper’s mobile app, website and our B2B business, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions). By leveraging massive amounts of data and advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to bring transparency, flexibility and savings to travelers globally. We have developed several unique fintech solutions that address everything from pricing volatility to trip disruptions – helping people travel better and save more on their trips.
The Hopper platform serves hundreds of millions of travelers globally and continues to capture market share around the world. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the Hopper app has been downloaded over 120 million times and has become largely popular among younger travelers – with 70% of its users being Gen Z and millennials.
While everyone knows us as the Gen Z and Millennial travel app, Hopper has evolved to become much more than that. In recent years, we’ve grown into a global travel agency and travel fintech provider that powers some of the world’s largest brands.
Through HTS, our B2B division, the company supercharges its partners’ direct channels by integrating our fintech products on their sites or powering end-to-end travel portals. Today, our partners include leading travel brands like Capital One, Nubank, Air Canada and many more.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
Hopper sells billion worth of travel and travel fintech every year. In 2023, over 1.3 billion trips were planned through the Hopper app and our HTS partnerships.
Our fintech products – including Price Freeze, Flexibility for Any Reason and Flight Disruption Assistance – have exceptionally strong CSAT because the terms are always clear, and customers receive instant, no-questions-asked resolutions.
Almost 30% of our app customers purchase at least one fintech product when making a booking; and consumers are 1.6x more likely to repurchase if they add fintech to their booking vs if they booked just travel.
Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative, HTS (Hopper Technology Solutions), which represents more than 50% of the business.
Through HTS, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory on their direct channels. As its first HTS partnership, the company partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders. Other HTS partners include Air Canada, Uber, CommBank, Nubank, Flair Airlines with many more in the pipeline.
Featured in Apple’s Best of the App Store list of Essential Travel Apps in 2023 and recognized by the likes of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, Hopper has been downloaded over 120 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month. Hopper is now the #3 largest online travel agency in North America and 70% of our app customers are Gen-Z and millennials travelers.
Hopper has raised over $750 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!