Senior Director Financial Systems Technology
JOB DESCRIPTION FOR:
Senior Director Financial Systems Tech/Engineering
Established in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to one of the largest ecommerce companies in the world. Booking.com is the largest business within Booking Holdings (NASDAQ: BKNG) and accounts for the vast majority of Booking Holdings’ total revenue. Booking Holdings is a leading Fortune 500 e-commerce conglomerate with a market cap of roughly $120 billion (2023). Booking.com currently employs approximately 10,000 employees in 120+ offices in 70 countries worldwide.
With a mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travellers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, including everything from apartments, vacation homes, and family-run B&Bs to 5-star luxury resorts and even tree houses. The Booking.com website and mobile apps are available in over 40 languages, offer more than 28,984,513 total reported listings, and cover 142,259 destinations in 229 countries worldwide. Each day, more than 1,550,000 room nights are reserved on its platform. So whether travelling for business or leisure, customers can instantly book their ideal accommodation quickly and easily, without booking fees and backed up by its promise to price match. Via the customer experience team, customers can reach Booking.com 24/7 for assistance and support in over 40 languages, any time of the day or night.
At Booking.com, we are all involved in making hundreds of decisions every day. The decisions we make are a reflection of our Values - they reflect what is important to us, both as individuals and as an organisation.
When Values are made explicit, they provide clarity on what “good” looks like. And when they are shared, they build unity in a group. They build culture.
Think customer first. We obsess about adding value for our customers - guests, partners, colleagues - to make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
Own it. We deliver on our promises, make informed decisions and prioritize to get the important things done today.
Learn forever. We are resilient, take time to reflect, and seek to learn – from colleagues, from the outside world and from our failures.
Succeed together. We celebrate team success, through making connections, building trust and valuing the diverse perspectives of others.
Do the right thing. We get the right results the right way. For each other, our communities and the world around us.
Senior Director Financial Systems Tech
FinTech is our newly formed Business Unit (~800 fte) – with teams in Amsterdam, London, and Bangalore (Booking Holdings). It consists of Payments, which is developing payment related products and Financial Systems, which is responsible for handling all internal and external facing payment systems. FinTech provides flexibility by managing accurately, transparently and timely the finances of both consumers and partners before, during and after the travel. FinTech develops new products and drives innovation to help us continue removing financial friction from the travel process. That makes buying and selling travel-related products and services simpler for both travelers and partners.
We are now entering into a next phase of development, to pursue financial services and risk-based opportunities that both add tremendous benefit to our core marketplace and generate significant new sources of revenue. To turn this vision into reality, we are looking for an experienced FinTech Leader to become our Senior Director Financial Systems Tech.
The Senior Director Financial Systems (FS) Tech will report into our VP of Financial Systems. This role is key to provide leadership to the Financial Systems Platforms (SAP) and Extended Platforms, and for supporting finance needs across Booking Holding’s global brands (Priceline, Agoda, KAYAK) and FinTech. The large-scale, multi-year, transformation this role will be responsible for, will benefit the entire group. This is the first, major, operational, cross-brand initiative in the history of the group.
- Lead and oversee overall product and technology/engineering implementation, set department objectives and manage budgets in line with the overall global roadmaps.
- Identify strategic business needs, evaluate opportunities and risks, roadmap new solutions, and determine use of mainstream and emerging technologies in the SAP/Platforms domain to support the finance/Morpheus and FinTech transformation.
- Oversee management of all vendor relationships and maintaining direct relationships with senior executives of the key ones, commercial negotiations and decide on investments that deliver high ROI on acquired products within SAP domain.
- Lead the formulation, development and implementation of the Financial Systems SAP and extended platforms strategy, to support Booking Holdings and FinTech goals for the different brands in response to regulatory and emerging trends or client/customer needs.
- Overall accountable for high availability, performance and resilience of the financial services infrastructure, its associated investments, for efficient and effective operations and business continuity.
- Identify opportunities for innovation and champion initiatives that enable the Finance Systems department to increase its impact on wider business by delivering differentiated solutions.
- Accountable to maintain SOX compliance on the finance and fintech backend platform services provided through ensuring efficient change management and security procedures are being implemented and safeguarded.
- Create and maintain strong working relationships with both local and global departments such as FinTech(Payments, RegTech), GBS, Global Finance Operations, Credit Control, FP&A, Procurement, Treasury, Risk & Compliance and Internal Audit.
Ideal Experience & Skills:
- 15+ years of Financial Technology/Engineering Leadership Experience with global leading brands. Experience at a growth phase consumer or e-commerce company is a plus.
- Strong understanding of and background in technology/Engineering
- Fundamental basic/intermediate understanding of SAP (or Oracle) and Finance processes in a multi-geography company
- Track-record of delivering enterprise-wide technology/engineering implementation in a global matrix organisation
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to establish relationships with C-suite stakeholders across multiple business lines
- Experience with complex data-driven analysis of business problems
- Fluency in English and excellent presentation and storytelling ability
- Master degree preferred
OTHER PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Character traits: open mind, learning attitude, transparent behavior, positive, overachiever, strong communicator, proactive and collaborative.
- Strategic thinker yet focused on execution; able to roll up sleeves to get things done.
- Able to function in a fast-moving entrepreneurial environment.
- Data driven, experimental, ready to learn and open to change.
- Keep the customer at the centre of everything you do.
- Strong communicator, Humble leadership
- Good cultural and organizational sensitivity.
- Committed to building a diverse, inclusive work environment.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.