Senior Software Engineer - Developer Experience
Senior Software Engineer : Node.js Developer Experience
Do you want to build software that impacts millions of customers around the world, tackling some of the world's most sophisticated ecommerce challenges? We are looking for dedicated engineers to join our Core Platforms team in our London office. Here we design, build and operate all the technology that our Booking.com product development teams need in order to deliver extraordinary travel products to our customers.
Booking.com is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join our Developer Experience (DX) team. As a member of one of our DX teams, you will be given the freedom to make meaningful and measurable improvements impacting millions of people. You will be working in one of the biggest e-commerce companies in the world, empowering other engineering teams to build Node.js-based capabilities, deploying them later on 10ks servers across multiple data centers around the world!
The opening is for the Node.js Developer Experience (DX) team in the Core Platforms department.
About Our Team
The Node.js DX team mission is empowering all teams at Booking.com to deliver value to our end-customers through first class Node.js applications.
The team is focused on developing and curating frameworks and libraries within the Node.js ecosystem that accelerate and improve development, adapting them to fit our high performance and large scale environment when needed.
As part of this mission, the team also provides guidance and tools to help the Engineering community with their end-to-end development cycle, so they ensure their applications and services in the Node.js ecosystem are built, deployed and delivered with high levels of quality and security standards.
About Our Customers
As a Core Platforms team our customers are all Booking.com engineering teams who use TypeScript and Node.js for their serverless or backend solutions.
What We Do
- First Class Tools & Frameworks. Providing a set of first class tools and framework to create, build and test Node.js services on Booking.com platform.
- Guidance & Support. Providing guidance and support with learning and using the language, in the form of: templates, best practices and documentation.
- Building & Supporting Community. Cornerstone of the Node.js Engineering Community at Booking.com we foster collaboration among teams using the Node.js stack by hosting and facilitating internal meet-ups, workshops and other events.
What You Will Do
- Develop and maintain the internal Node.js app stack, ensuring the seamless integration with our internal systems.
- Contribute to the development of high quality Node.js libraries by reviewing and writing well tested code.
- Write comprehensive documentation to help engineers at Booking.com deliver high quality applications.
- Facilitate internal community events to foster collaboration among teams using Node.js across the company.
- Work closely with product managers, leaders and partners to shape the future of the Node.js platform at Booking.com
- Work closely with other platform teams to improve the developer experience for all software engineers in the company.
Who You Are
- You are passionate about engineering practices like agile, clean code, continuous integration and delivery.
- You have 5+ years of programming experience and you are proficient in TypeScript/NX/Node.js Еcosystem.
- You are proficient in Git, Docker, Kubernetes.
- You have experience with any Node.js web framework (e.g. Fastify, Express, Koa, etc.) as well as in creating NPM libraries.
- You have experience with public cloud development (e.g. AWS) and associated Infrastructure as Code tooling (e.g. Terraform, CDK etc.).
- You are proficient in Backend for Frontend Applications/Backend APIs/Server-Side Rendering Applications/CLI tools.
- You have experience with Developing Secure Software, Understanding of System Vulnerabilities and Mitigating Common Attack Pathways.
- It is a plus if you are familiar with Developer Experience and Platform Development.
- It is a plus if you have some experience in building an engineering community.
- You care about bringing value and satisfaction to your customers.
- You are comfortable working collaboratively on an agile team in a hybrid working environment.
- You have a growth mindset, are curious and not afraid to be experimental.
- You share your ideas and continuously improve yourself and the team around you.
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards strive to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms so that you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- A great office to work in the heart of London
- Contribute to a high scale, sophisticated, world-class product and see the real time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Performance-based company that offers 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits.
- An exciting and dynamic place to work with diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave.
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country).
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and Booking.com wallet credit.
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership for you and up to 2 family members or friends.
- Great facilities including pantry, lunch vouchers, and break out spaces.
- A thriving community of engineers spanning from London to Manchester and Amsterdam.
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustment to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to succeed.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.