Data Quality Analyst - Flights
We began by taking hotel bookings online over 20 years ago and we've been shaping the travel industry ever since. Today, we're building a platform that connects all parts of the trip – from accommodation to transport, flights, tickets, tours and much more!
From our hubs in Manchester, London, Amsterdam our Trips Business Unit helps people get where they want to go, anywhere in the world. Whether customers want the freedom of a car, the convenience of a flight, the ease of a taxi or the economy of public transport, we make it all possible.
Our team is passionate about helping people travel. They see challenges as opportunities. And they’re always ready for change.
Our Flight business is one of the cornerstones of the connected trip. We ought to offer the best and most convenient flights to every customer, those that start their trip by buying a flight or those that are complementing their existing journey with a flight. We will do this by having the best inventory available at the most competitive prices powering a site that solves all the difficulties of booking a flight today!
The Trips Data team at Booking.com looks after data for everything but the stay at Booking.com, enabling teams across the organisation to understand and manage our business performance and improve the experience of our customers through the data we manage and serve.
We're hiring for a curious and enthusiastic Data Quality Analyst to join our impactful Data Quality team to support the Flights vertical growth.
In this team, a DQ Analyst blends technical know-how, business insight and expert communication to provide critical info about our data systems.
This means, supporting business needs with the right quality data by implementing monitoring and alerting to detect issues, engaging alignment, accountability and sense of urgency on end-to-end data corrections, driving standardisation and architectural optimisation to mitigate issues and create long-term data foundations and last but not least, being an advocate to instil Data Quality mindset through purpose and impact driven approach.
You will report to a Senior Data Manager and will work with a team of other Data Quality Analysts on strategic objectives to ensure the highest standards of data quality, governance and compliance across Booking. Day to day you will be in the field, working closely with Product Managers, Data Engineers, Data Scientists and Insights Analysts to build out Data & Analytics within Flights.
We are looking for someone passionate about data, keen to learn, ready to get tactical and willing to listen and talk with a diverse set of stakeholders on a daily basis.
Need more flexibility in your work week? We are happy to consider flexible hours, part-time, and reduced working week opportunities* (*subject to terms and conditions)
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
To successfully deliver change in a fast paced working environment you will need to:
- Automate & Implement Data Quality checks, so that we can detect and measure DQ proactively
- Understands pain points and proposes/creates automated processes/reports accelerating analysis and root cause identification
- Analyse & Profile data to detect priority issues and investigates ways to resolve them; Compile and presents analysis to gain attention and prioritisation from different stakeholders
- Guarantee Data Quality processes are followed; engage alignment, accountability, and sense of urgency on end-to-end data corrections
- Understand business priorities and create a business purpose/data driven mindset in Engineering/Data teams
- Guide improvements and issue mitigation in the e2e flow (points of failure, data modelling). Understands pros and cons with different teams involved and supports decision making.
- Proposes and implements improvements on standards used in different teams (eg.: MDM, data modelling standards)
- Conduct research, surveys and interviews to gain understanding of the business and their priorities and to support subjective data quality assessment (NPS)
- Develop and implements processes and training that are going to contribute to improving Data & Quality literacy at Booking
- Work closely with Data Product Managers and Data Engineers in order to provide a better quality data for their Data Products
- Keep essential documents up to date, such as Data Dictionary & Business Glossary
- Partner with Insights Analysts to ensure only verifiable, trustworthy data is being used for business reporting and ensure all reports are catalogued
- Perform ‘Data Discovery’ to develop a solid understanding of the data domain, including architecture and data flows
- Create and maintain Data Lineage documentation
- Synthesise, aggregate and summarise technical details for a business audience
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
- Can write complex logic using SQL, Python or similar languages used for data analysis.
- Experience profiling data or performing exploratory data analysis.
- Skilled with Data Visualisation tools such as Tableau or PowerbI
- Can articulate Data Quality dimensions and principles.
- Knowledge of Data Governance concepts
- Proficient in working within an Agile product-based organisation with good organisational and task management skills.
- Can articulate on the difference between a Data Warehouse and a Data Lake and elaborate on different technologies for both.
- Experience working with ETL, data workflows and data models - can get technical with engineers.
- Strong communication skills - be able to communicate with senior managers across disciplines.
- Good stakeholder management, collaboration and influencing skills - able to deliver the facts in a concise and impactful way.
- Be highly analytical and methodical in your approach to problem solving, with a track record of documenting and presenting the results of complex data analysis to a diverse audience.
- Have a clear sense of ownership and deliver and maintain the highest quality across the solutions you produce.
- Any vocational qualifications related to data analysis or business analysis.
- Experience working with 3rd parties
- Experience implementing a data quality project, product or tool.
- Experience in Analytics (i.e. Finance, Marketing, Sales, Operations).
- Experience in Data Engineering.
Benefits & Perks:
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards are aimed to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer—all the messy, beautiful, and joyful bits—on your terms. So you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country)
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
*Please note that while our philosophy is the same in every location, benefits may differ by office/country.
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Directly linked to our mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.