Software Engineer - Technical Operations
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
We’re a truly global e-commerce company, with business operations in nearly every country and city on the planet. And we want to make it easy for everyone, anywhere in the world, to pay for their travel or do business with our platform – whenever and however it’s convenient for them.
Do you want to build software that impacts millions of customers around the world, solving some of the world's most sophisticated ecommerce challenges? We are looking for dedicated engineers to join our Core Infrastructure department in our Amsterdam HQ.
In Core Infrastructure we design, build and operate all the technology that our Booking.com product development teams need in order to deliver great travel products to our customers.
At Service Directory team, we have the constant challenge of improving the observability of components running in any platform that Booking.com offers and manage their dependencies, so we can deliver a healthier SOA environment and provide users the information they need to make informed decisions about component consumption.
With this in mind, we are looking for the finest internal Software Developers to join us on this adventure and to help shape the future of our SOA strategy and governance
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Combine hands on coding with working on impactful project(s) and supporting other team members,
- You be responsible for your products: our team designs, implements, tests, runs, monitors, and maintains its services, providing our customers (which are hundreds of engineers) with the best experience out there,
- Tackle business problems, work cross-functionally, together with other your Engineering Manager, our Product Manager, and other teams, to improve our development process and business opportunities within Booking.com,
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on and always keep the customer at the center of everything you do (we are engineers building tools for engineers),
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through recruitment efforts and proactively share your knowledge to help your colleagues grow,
- Represent Booking.com values, both within the company and in the external community,
- Advocate for a collaborative working environment – turn “my ideas” into “our ideas”
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
- You have strong programming skills and experience with backend technologies (Java or Perl specific knowledge is an advantage), and you have the willingness to learn any required technologies to develop new systems as well as to support existing, mature solutions,
- You have 3+ years of experience as a Software Developer, you’ve worked with distributed systems and product(s) that impact millions of customers,
- You understand business well, can grasp and explain sophisticated concepts and make pragmatic decisions,
- You know how to keep a critical system up and running, understand reliability, can troubleshoot effectively, and are comfortable performing incident management,
- You have experience working on low latency services, and can guarantee that our SLO's are always met,
- You can profile production applications to identify performance bottlenecks,
- You have practical experience with containerized application deployment systems,
- You are an excellent communicator and you are able to influence and cooperate with people at all levels,
- You have a ‘can do’ attitude and you act proactively and not reactively,
What we offer:
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards strive to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms so that you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic and cosmopolitan cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Contribute to a high scale, sophisticated, extraordinary product and see the real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Full relocation support (candidates in EU) for you and your family to move to Amsterdam. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating over 300 Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits.
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave.
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country).
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit.
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create an outstanding workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustment to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.