Machine Learning Engineer II - Meta Search
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends one makes. The journeys one takes. The sights one sees. And the food one samples. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
We’re a truly global e-commerce company, with business operations in nearly every country and city in the world. And we want to make it easy for everyone, anywhere in the world, to pay for their travel or do business with our platform – whenever and however it’s convenient for them.
Machine Learning, and AI in general, are integral to booking.com’s goal of making it easier for everyone to experience the world. At the Performance Marketing department we are developing strategies to reach the right customers at the right time. We are developing large-scale machine learning frameworks that capture customer’s intent and introduce them to a journey with Booking.com, and work on mastering our bidding and optimization mechanisms within the competitive space of the digital travel industry. This presentes machine learning engineers with a unique set of state-of-the-art machine learning challenges, such as value learning under extreme sparsity, optimization and control in non-equilibrium games, and reliable learning and prediction at massive scale, in a cost- and time-effective manner.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Work in a multi-disciplined, highly skilled team where you will be developing scalable production-grade data and ML pipelines across the entire ML cycle while working closely with the team’s machine learning scientists
- Work primarily with the Google Cloud Platform, utilizing technologies like Spark, BigQuery , Airflow and state of the art ML frameworks
- Be responsible for SLIs/SLOs for ML systems, ensure system and model health, monitor data quality, performance and business impact, and devise mitigation plans
- Drive a culture of quality for all ML practitioners, maintain data security, integrity and quality, and make choices over the right technologies and coding methodologies.
- Identify underlying issues and opportunities across the ML development cycle and introduce tools to be used within and outside the team for efficient development and testing.
- Continuously evolve your craft, keeping up to date with the latest technologies.
- Collaborate with a wide range of ML teams across the company to improve, scale and extend machine learning tooling and infrastructure.
What You’ll Bring:
- 3+ years of relevant work experience (or equivalent), involved with the application of Machine Learning to business problems in a commercial environment.
- Demonstrable experience of multiple machine learning facets, such as working with large data sets, experimentation, scalability and optimization.
- Strong working knowledge of big data retrieval and processing tools such as Spark and SQL.
- Experience running Machine Learning systems in production is a must, with knowledge on how to generate predictions for ML frameworks with high throughput.
- Experience with data-driven product development: analytics, A/B testing, etc.
- Experience working in a cloud environment is a plus.
- You have a ‘can do’ attitude and you act proactively and not reactively.
- BSc or higher in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Software Engineering, or related fields.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
In Return, We’ll Provide:
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards strive to make it easier to experience all that life has to offer on your terms so that you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic and cosmopolitan cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Opportunity to work on a high scale, sophisticated, outstanding product and see the real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Full relocation support for you and your family to move to Amsterdam. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating over 300 Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit.
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave.
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country).
- Industry leading product discounts
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create an outstanding workplace, it also builds a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make a mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustment to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.