Data Scientist II - China Tech
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We’re the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we make it easier for everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth’s #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
About the Accommodations Business Unit:
We are responsible for the design & delivery of services and products to offer customers the best selection of properties and rooms. Our products & services are available on the Web, Mobile and API platforms, and span over all aspects of Booking.com accommodation business – from getting inventory from partners to displaying rooms to our customers. Our focus area is to provide customers with the best selection of properties & rooms by understanding customer intent, getting more relevant properties and rooms, and using existing inventory as effectively as possible.
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Identify key customers and collaborate proactively through effective communication and addressing their needs
- Prioritize impactful business problems, translate them into feasible data problems and solve them effectively by applying suitable statistical data analysis and modeling methods
- Identify, source and organize data required for the solution and prepare it in a way that makes it fit for use
- Transform large, sophisticated datasets into pragmatic, useable insights
- Maintain the data processing workflows that provide clean and curated data in their area
- Use data visualization skills and storytelling to drive actions from internal customers
- Design and interpret quantitative experiments to objectively guide key business decision making
- Have the capacity to thrive in our fast-paced environment, adapt quickly and take ownership of their work
- Challenge ideas and methods while working together with talented, highly skilled team members. Ensure quality of their own and others’ work, by making them reproducible and replicable and by validating through peer review
- Convey complex analysis results clearly and with conviction to all levels of business partners and leaders
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience solving real problems using data mining techniques and with statistical rigor and translating business problems into data problems
- Knowledge and practical experience of Statistical Methods (e.g. Testing, GLM, Inference), Statistical/Machine Learning (e.g. Dimension Reduction, Clustering, Regularisation, Bagged/Boosted methods), Time Series, etc
- Strong experience of A/B Testing and a range of Experimentation methods
- Strong working knowledge of Hadoop, Spark, SQL, Python and/or R
- Solid understanding of data management (schema design, data pipelines, workflows)
- Strong stakeholder management
- Proven understanding of the possibilities and limitations of different types of data analysis and/or data science modelling
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance:
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards are aimed to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer—all the messy, beautiful, and joyful bits—on your terms. So you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Contributing to a high scale, sophisticated, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to apply technical expertise, leadership capabilities and ambitious spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Directly linked to our mission to make it easier for everyone to experience the world, Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
Career Development Opportunities:
- Bi-annual performance conversations, company-wide mentoring program, and internal development and growth opportunities
- Unlimited access to online learning platforms (such as Udemy, Coursera, LinkedIn learning, O'reilly)
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.