Site Reliability Engineer - Application Data Services
At Booking.com, our mission is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world. And while that world might feel a little farther away right now, we’re busy preparing for when the world is ready to travel once more. With strategic long-term investments into what we believe the future of travel can be, we are opening career opportunities that will have a strong impact on our mission.
Do you want to build software that impacts millions of customers around the world, taking on some of the world's most complex ecommerce challenges? We are looking for dedicated engineers to join our Central Tech department in our Amsterdam HQ. Here we design, build and operate all the technology that our Booking.com product development teams need in order to deliver great travel products to our customers.
Booking.com is looking for a Senior Site Reliability Engineer to join our Application Data Services team at our Amsterdam headquarters. As a member of one of our teams, you will be given the freedom to make meaningful and measurable improvements impacting millions of people. You will be working in one of the biggest e-commerce companies in the world, deploying code on 10ks servers across multiple data centers around the world!
About the team: we have the following SRE needs in this specific track
The Streaming track is responsible for the Booking.com Data Streaming infrastructure. This team is responsible for reliably moving petabytes of data, which is at the core of Booking.com operation and enables services such as Security, Marketing, Machine Learning, Observability, Experimentation etc. The Streaming Solutions team is a part of this track working on streaming data transfer automation. You will help us maintain our Apache Flink and AWS infrastructure, enable data modernization, and improve the internal customers experience
Key Job Responsibilities and Duties:
- Design, develop and implement software that improves the stability, scalability, availability and latency of the Booking.com products;
- Take ownership of one or more services and have the freedom to do what is best for our business and customers;
- Take on problems occurring with our highly available production systems and build solutions and automation to prevent them from happening again;
- Build effective monitoring to monitor the health of your system, and jump in to handle outages;
- Build and run capacity tests to handle the growth of your systems;
- Plan for reliability by designing systems to work across our multinational data centers;
- Be an advocate of engineering best practices;
- Share the on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for incidents:
- Contribute to Booking.com's growth through interviewing, on-boarding, or other recruitment efforts.
Role Qualifications and Requirements:
Experience with building, operating and maintaining complex and scalable systems;
- Proven experience in at least one programming language. This team mainly works with Java.
- Experience with building, operating and maintaining scalable distributed systems, and with operations automation;
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code technologies;
- Knowledge of cloud computing fundamentals;
- Understanding of Service level agreements and objectives (SLOs);
- Additional experience in AWS, Terraform, Kubernetes, Networking, Security or Storage is desirable;
- Monitoring / observability technologies like Prometheus, Graphite, Grafana, Kibana, Elasticsearch are a plus;
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proficient command of the English language, both written and spoken
What we offer:
Benefits & Perks: Global Impact, Personal Relevance
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards strive to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer on your terms so that you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Headquarters located in one of the most dynamic and cosmopolitan cities in Europe: Amsterdam.
- Contribute to a high scale, sophisticated, extraordinary product and see the real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide.
- Be part of a truly international fast paced environment and performance driven culture.
- Full relocation support (candidates in EU) for you and your family to move to Amsterdam. We have fine-tuned this process by successfully relocating over 300 Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year alone!
- Performance-based company that offers 29 vacation days, career advancement, and lucrative compensation, including bonuses and stock potential.
- Discount on Booking.com accommodations with the “Booking Deal” including other perks and benefits.
- Company-sponsored family and social activities to help our employees become integrated with each other and Dutch culture.
- Diverse and creative colleagues from every corner of the world.
- Health, life, and disability insurance*
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave.
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country).
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and quarterly Booking.com wallet credit.
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily*
#ThinkInclusion: Wellbeing & Inclusion at Booking.com:
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations.
Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.”
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustment to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.