Tax Manager - US State and Local Taxes (SALT)
Tax Manager - US State and Local Taxes (SALT)
Founded in 1996 in Amsterdam, Booking.com has grown from a small Dutch start-up to one of the world’s leading digital travel companies. Part of Booking Holdings Inc. (NASDAQ: BKNG), Booking.com’s mission is to make it easier for everyone to experience the world. Booking.com invests in digital technology that helps take the friction out of travel. Booking.com connects travelers with the world’s largest selection of incredible places to stay, but also offers its customers the ability to book flights, rental cars, attractions and taxis as a one-stop-shop for a Connected Trip.
As Booking.com continues to develop new travel related products, building the Connected Trip and growing in the US, we are looking for a Tax Manager with US SALT expertise in our team, to provide support and enhance compliance with continuously changing US local tax regulations.
The main focus of this position is managing the company’s compliance with US SALT regulations (such as sales & use taxes, hotel occupancy taxes and other similar local taxes), including identifying tax risks of new and existing practices, through research, analysis, (co-)developing strategy and providing implementation support. You will also provide US SALT advice and guidance relating to various new business initiatives (Booking.com, Booking.com Transport or Fareharbor). You will have an end to end responsibility from scoping the issue/challenge (incl. budgeting) to the overall solution (execution and implementation), including the stakeholder management. You will also manage the relationships with our tax advisors in relation to your projects.
As a Tax Manager - US State and Local Taxes (SALT) you will work at the headquarters of Booking.com in Amsterdam (6,000 employees with over 100 different nationalities), where our entire tax department sits. The tax department currently consists of approx. 40 persons, which are working in either one of the two business focused verticals (Accommodations BU and Trips BU) or one of the tax horizontals (TP, VAT, Tax Governance & Compliance and Data Technology Strategy). You will sit in the Trips BU team, which is a multi-tax disciplinary team dedicated to supporting all Trips Verticals (incl. among other car rental, rides, flights, insurance, attractions), however you may also support the Accommodations BU team where needed. Building strong collaboration with other US SALT experts in the group is important to ensure (cross brand) alignment. The tax department is part of Booking.com’s international Finance team (approx. 1,000 professionals, mostly based in Amsterdam).
The role involves close interaction with our entire tax department, various business teams, our parent company (Booking Holdings Inc in Norwalk, Connecticut), our international offices, functional teams and other finance colleagues in Amsterdam and Manchester. Therefore it is essential that you have excellent management and communication skills in English.
Due to the rapid changes in the organization and US SALT developments, the tasks and duties of this role may evolve over time. You will be keen to develop and grow within the role and to take on additional challenges and responsibilities as they occur.
- Managing the US SALT compliance regulations including identifying tax risks of new and existing practices, through research, analysis, (co-)develop strategy and providing implementation support;
- Providing US SALT advice and guidance relating to new business initiatives (Booking.com, Booking.com Transport, Fareharbor);
- Tax Policy: participating in advocacy efforts to SALT matters affecting our industry in close collaboration with BHI and the other brands;
- Tax controversy and audit support: assist with SALT audits, including inquiries from tax authorities;
- Contribute to US SALT awareness and appreciation within the group through training and guidance;
- Keep up with global tax developments and ensure compliance with local tax rules and regulations;
- Coordination and implementation responsibilities;
- Answer daily ad-hoc tax issues;
- Coordinate the work of our tax advisors in relation to your projects.
- Law degree, advanced tax decree (or CPA);
- 7+ years advanced US SALT experience within a big 4, law firm (inhouse preferred);
- US SALT experience with taxation of digital economy, especially in the OTA business, such as marketplace facilitator statutes, Hotel Occupancy and Sales Taxes, SaaS and similar topics. Experience with state income tax is preferred;
- Combination of experience with tax compliance/accounting is much preferred;
- Self-starter, flexible, energetic, passionate, self-motivated, and results-oriented professional;
- Accurate, able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines, and comfortable working in a fast turnaround environment;
- Ability to think strategically, multi-task, and work effectively and efficiently with minimum direction, taking ownership of tasks and responsibilities;
- To be able to clearly express ideas and information to others and flex your style according to the specific situation and audience;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with all levels of management;
- Ability to have good grasp of the detail whilst understanding the “big picture”, and to manage multiple tasks and priorities simultaneously;
- Organized, proactive, common sense and hands-on deliverer;
- Self-aware with an appetite for self-improvement, managing and developing your experience and skills;
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal) in English.
Booking.com’s Total Rewards Philosophy is not only about compensation but also about benefits. Our Total Rewards are aimed to make it easier for you to experience all that life has to offer—all the messy, beautiful, and joyful bits—on your terms. So you can focus on what really matters. We offer competitive compensation as well as thoughtful, valuable, and even fun benefits which include:
- Health, life, and disability insurance
- Annual paid time off and generous paid leave scheme including: parent, grandparent, bereavement, and care leave
- Hybrid working including flexible working arrangements, and up to 20 days per year working from abroad (home country)
- Industry leading product discounts for yourself, friends, and family, including automatic Genius Level 3 status and Booking.com wallet credit
- Free access to online learning platforms, development and mentorship programs, and a complimentary Headspace membership
- On-site meals, coffee, and snacks, including healthy and vegan options, daily
Inclusion, Diversity, Belonging, Wellbeing and Volunteering (IDBWV) have been a core part of our company culture since day one. This ongoing journey starts with our very own employees, who represent over 140 nationalities and a wide range of ethnic and social backgrounds, genders and sexual orientations. Take it from our Chief People Officer, Paulo Pisano: “At Booking.com, the diversity of our people doesn’t just create a unique workplace, it also creates a better and more inclusive travel experience for everyone. Inclusion is at the heart of everything we do. It’s a place where you can make your mark and have a real impact in travel and tech.” We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable adjustment to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
If your application is successful, your personal data may be used for a pre-employment screening check by a third party as permitted by applicable law. Depending on the vacancy and applicable law, a pre-employment screening may include employment history, education and other information (such as media information) that may be necessary for determining your qualifications and suitability for the position.