Senior Staff Software Engineer,Network Infrastructure
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
The Networking team within Airbnb’s Cloud Infrastructure org owns the entire Airbnb production network infrastructure. The group is responsible for designing, building and operating the software and solutions that connect all Airbnb users and services, such as traffic proxy and load balancer, service mesh, VPC/backbone and cross-region connectivity, network monitoring and security systems. With users around the world, reliability, scalability, efficiency and high availability are our team’s core concerns.
The Difference You Will Make:
As a member of the Network/Edge Experience team, you will be working with talented engineers on cutting edge technologies of cloud native network stack from Layer4 - Layer7. You will contribute to the key infrastructure components that connect all Airbnb users and hosts to our services across the globe. You will have the chance to define and influence large infrastructure initiatives such as global traffic load balancing and disaster recovery, next-gen service mesh, cross-region gateways and edge security.
Airbnb is a member of the Cloud Native Computing Foundation (CNCF) end user community, and we work closely with the open source community (e.g. k8s, istio) and peer companies to tackle cloud native engineering challenges at scale. You will also have the chance to make an impact on the industry and open source communities.
A Typical Day:
- Work with open source technologies and communities (e.g. envoy/istio) to build the next generation cross-region gateways and load balancers to deliver Airbnb's edge services;
- Work with external partners, internal engineering stakeholders, and security teams to a deliver privacy, security and Antibot/DDoS solutions on the edge;
- Work with product and engineering teams to optimize the network performance for Airbnb services;
- Guide a team of software developers through the project lifecycle, ensuring timely delivery of high-quality software solutions.
- Communicate project progress, challenges, and opportunities to stakeholders.
- Mentor and support team members to help them achieve their career and project goals.
- Improve Edge Operations by optimizing observability, processes and reducing tech debt.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in computer science or related field, or equivalent work experience
- 12+ years of relevant work experience in infrastructure
- Experience successfully delivering large scale multi-year roadmap with external dependencies
- Experience running large scale edge systems (e.g. reverse proxies, DNS, CDN, network gateways) in native Public Cloud, experience working with Istio/Envoy is a plus.
- Experience protecting websites against DDoS, Bot, and scrapers.
- You are a full-cycle developer: strong ownership and experience building and operating high-scale, distributed systems across the full software life cycle.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and with teams across the engineering teams.
- You are a strong problem solver and have led a team that is on-call for production infrastructure before.
- You are passionate about privacy, security, availability, operational excellence, technical quality and efficiency.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can be employed in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated, please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.