Staff Software Engineer, Infrastructure Performance
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The Infrastructure Performance team's mission is to optimize the performance of all systems that make up the Airbnb site. We optimize the full stack Java Applications, Kubernetes infrastructure, containers and sidecars, base Operating System and hardware selection. Performance optimization is a cross-functional effort requiring working with all teams in Airbnb. We are building infrastructure to deploy the latest hardware architectures available from AWS and tooling to profile and optimize our software systems. You will closely work with a group of accomplished engineers and report to the Senior Engineering Manager, Infrastructure.
The Difference You Will Make:
As a member of this team you would be working with talented engineers on cutting edge technologies to help support Airbnb’s business. You will be the resident expert on performance across the entire Airbnb stack. You will find performance bottlenecks in key services using tools such as eBPF and work with owners to optimize their services. You will also drive adoption of the latest AWS technology in the Airbnb fleet in order to minimize costs.
A Typical Day:
- Work closely across all teams at Airbnb to reduce the cost of our infrastructure.
- Work with our largest services to optimize their performance through profiling, analysis and tuning.
- Build distributed performance tooling to constantly collect performance data and develop automation to surface performance bottlenecks.
- Lead continuous load testing in production to determine performance bottlenecks and vulnerabilities of airbnb.com.
- Work on production performance issues to minimize latency for our customers.
- Work to modernize Airbnb's software stack touching every layer.
- Build infrastructure to deploy the latest hardware to our AWS Kubernetes clusters in order to minimize their footprint.
- 9+ years of relevant performance optimization industry experience.
- Deep software tuning and optimization experience, Java preferred but other major languages such as C++ acceptable.
- Expertise in using metrics to uncover performance issues.
- Familiarity with system hardware as it pertains to performance.
- Familiarity with a public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, Azure) and their infrastructure as a service offering (e.g. EC2).
- Familiarity with container and orchestration technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- You have excellent communication skills and the ability to work well within a team and across engineering teams.
- You are a strong problem solver and have solid performance debugging skills.
- Experience of load testing software either in production or through benchmarking
- You are passionate about efficiency and performance
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.