Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
- As we work towards achieving this vision, we’re looking to add a Privacy Architect to our Privacy Team. We aim to hire a professional with privacy experience, as well as a technical background that includes knowledge of AI/ML (machine learning) technologies and the AI/ML lifecycle. We’re looking for someone that has a strong interest in ensuring the use of AI/ML increases trust with our stakeholders and helps Airbnb to stay compliant with current privacy regulation as well as future applicable AI/ML statutes to the Data TPM (technical program management) team. As the Privacy Architect, you will champion all things Privacy and responsible use of AI, work closely with the Chief Privacy Officer, the Privacy team and other AI/ML stakeholders in the company, to lead high business impact initiatives and define technical requirements for data privacy and trustworthy AI products and technologies at Airbnb.
The Difference You Will Make:
- Assist in the identification and definition of risks to privacy and trustworthy use of AI/ML, supporting stakeholders in the development and execution of initiatives to address them; contribute to the definition and implementation of standards, practices, and patterns to protect and manage personal data in accordance with privacy and AI regulations
- Support Airbnb's regulatory compliance efforts and contribute to the effective management of company-wide risk areas
- Lead projects focused on addressing privacy risks, driving the embedding of privacy policies, processes, and patterns into Airbnb products and the day-to-day operations of the business; collaborate cross-functionally and take ownership of initiatives to ensure compliance and privacy by design throughout the organization
- Actively contribute to the creation of comprehensive plans and approaches that effectively address privacy concerns, particularly in machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Closely collaborate with stakeholders from Legal, Data Science, Data Governance, InfoSec, and product teams, providing valuable insights and helping to shape privacy strategies
- Play an integral role in facilitating the cross-functional execution of the privacy team's remediation plans; contribute to implementing concrete strategies that effectively address privacy issues in AI/ML, working closely with program managers, engineers, and data scientists
- Work with data scientists and engineers to identify policy and technological approaches to address privacy-related issues and implement Privacy by Design principles in company products by leveraging privacy enhancing technologies such as cryptography and anonymization of personal data
- Coach and collaborate with privacy leads, legal privacy, and other teams and business units within Airbnb, providing expertise in assessing privacy risks that involve complex technical elements; focus on areas such as AI/ML, cryptography, and anonymization techniques, offering guidance and support to mitigate privacy concerns
- Contribute to creation of privacy training for technical roles, including data engineers, developers and data scientists
A Typical Day:
- Drive execution on large horizontal/cross-company data privacy and responsible AI/ML initiatives/programs to ensure compliance with internal and external privacy and AI/ML related policies and regulatory requirements
- Develop a portfolio view of the privacy and responsible AI initiatives impacting technology at Airbnb; review, document and advise on privacy issues related to the company's AI infrastructure
- Drive adoption of privacy, fairness and other responsible AI technologies to empower product/business teams to effectively ingest, store, process, transform, analyze, and curate personal data
- Work with AI/ML teams and other stakeholders to align on dependencies and associated risks, which could impact the compliant and trustworthy adoption of AI/ML and other advanced technologies by Airbnb
- Develop metrics to measure the success of our initiatives and products in relation to overall privacy and responsible AI/ML goals and initiatives
- Build relationships across various Airbnb stakeholder groups and facilitate communication between cross-functional teams to ensure our AI/ML tooling, policies and processes are driving privacy and trustworthy improvements
- Be a driver, evangelist, problem-solver, and leader who helps the Airbnb engineering and operations team gather and use personal data while maintaining strong privacy and responsible AI commitments towards our community
- Dive deep into areas at risk, or in need of more hands-on program/technical project management to unblock and ensure successful outcome.
- 5+ years experience in program/project management building technology products and/or systems
- Familiarity with the AI/ML lifecycle
- Good conceptual understanding of how Large Language Models work, challenges that arise from their use in certain contexts, and prompt engineering
- Strong time management and prioritization capabilities, efficiently allocating time and resources to achieve objectives; demonstrates the ability to balance multiple tasks and responsibilities while ensuring high-quality outputs
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions; self-motivated, proactive and proven ability to adapt well and work with teams having different operating cadences
- Sound business judgment, a proven ability to influence others, strong analytical skills, and a track record of taking ownership, leading data driven analyses, and influencing results
- Experience developing processes where little exists, and demonstrated flexibility to get things done
- Detail-oriented and able to understand the bigger picture by using your technical and privacy expertise, as well as problem solving abilities to prioritize and manage blocking issues
- Experience working in a highly cross-functional environment (Eng, PM, DS, Analytics, Design, Ops, Legal, Infra, etc.) where communication with and the ability to influence multiple groups and executive teams is imperative
- Ability to ramp up quickly and learn new technologies and correctly apply the knowledge in the context of regulatory requirements with minimal lag time
- Excellent written and oral business communication and people skills, with the ability to influence diverse stakeholders at all levels
- Multiple years of experience working with teams that drive technology changes, or programs which cover both online and offline data systems operating at scale, focusing on privacy, regulatory compliance and governance
- Working knowledge of common privacy processes and deliverables such as privacy impact assessments, records of processing, etc; hands-on experience applying privacy frameworks and demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of major regulations such as GDPR and CCPA
- 7+ years experience in privacy, trust & safety, compliance, security operations and/or program management, preferably in a global B2C technology company
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP), Certified Information Privacy Manager (CIPM), or equivalent professional certification is not required, but preferred ML certification from an accredited organization
- BA/BS or advanced degree in engineering, computer science, mathematics, statistics, physics or related field
- Has working knowledge of programming languages used in AI, such as R and/or Python
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.