Staff Data Engineer, Users, Listings, and Marketplace Insights
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
You will be joining the Users, Listings, and Marketplace Insights team part of the broader Guest and Host product org responsible for foundational data models, ML models, and data systems supporting user facing features utilizing users, listings, reviews, pricing, availability, and supply/demand data. This includes high visibility features you see in Airbnb’s core product like Guest Favorites, Categories, and Photo Tour, as well as Host products that help maximize their earnings on Airbnb.
The team consists of data practitioners of all areas of expertise including data modeling, data processing, machine learning, and analytics.
The Difference You Will Make:
As a Staff Data Engineer in Users, Listings, and Marketplace Insights, you will scope, architect, develop, and own data systems + ML models that power high visibility features such as Guest Favorites, Categories, and Host Tools. You will also own foundational data models and features stores for Airbnb’s users, listings, reviews, pricing, availability, and supply/demand data. You will be operating with a high level of autonomy, collaborating directly with product, business partners, and peer engineering teams to align on requirements and execute effectively. You will review the designs and work of engineers on the team, and set a high bar for quality.
A Typical Day:
- Architect and productionize batch and real-time data systems to power products for Airbnb Guests and Hosts, or our business/sales teams
- Ensure the quality, performance, and stability of data systems with thoughtful quality systems and monitoring
- Tune, productionize, and optimize state-of-the art ML models and systems powering Airbnb products
- Design long-term data models for optimal storage and retrieval and to meet critical product and business requirements
- Collaborate with product teams to extract data requirements from product specs to develop scalable and flexible systems
- Collaborate and build relationships with partner engineering including backend/client, data science, analytics, and ML
- 9+ years of experience with a BS/Masters in CS, or math/science
- Expertise with both realtime and batch distributed processing technologies, such as Spark, Flink, or Kafka, and distributed storage systems such as Parquet, Delta or Iceberg
- Significant experience building and productionization data pipelines with Scala and/or Java using schedulers such as Airflow, Luigi, or Oozie
- Excellent communication skills with a history of strong collaborations with technical and non-technical partners
- Expertise with data warehousing and modeling. Hands-on experience with relational databases (e.g., PostgreSQL, MySQL) and columnar databases (e.g., Redshift, BigQuery, HBase, ClickHouse)
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex data issues
Nice to have:
- Experience collaborating with ML engineers to develop and productionize models that serves millions of users
- Experience influencing large organizations on technology or architecture direction
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles, including object-oriented and functional programming paradigms, design patterns, and code quality practices
- Deep understanding of distributed systems such as Spark internals, systems performance tuning, and networking
- Side projects or open source contributions to data frameworks and tooling
- Full-stack engineer with expertise in backend and frontend system with a track record of shipping production features
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.