Senior Data Scientist - Algorithms, Payments (9 Month Contract)
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
We are looking for a passionate data scientist to identify and execute scalable ways to improve our platform’s payment experience and to bring a scientific approach to product decision making. This data scientist will perform careful hypothesis generation, causal inference testing, and model development that will drive payment strategies on our platform. Our Data Scientists have a deep understanding of causal framework development, statistical analysis & modeling, and the complications of running experiment/quasi-experimental methods in a two-sided marketplace. They also have keen business sense and are able to utilize their findings to drive our data & product roadmaps. Examples of projects you may work on include, development of novel metrics and frameworks to trade off against competing metrics, generating deep intelligence and causal inference frameworks to determine the impacts of new payment products, and building data products and models to optimize guest, host, and business outcomes.
The Difference You Will Make:
Our goal? To empower people and communities to participate in our global marketplace and innovate on a future where payments on Airbnb can be completely trusted, transparent, and simple. As our platform grows, the payments team is building a scalable foundation to support global scale, helping the company grow by bringing new markets and demographics to the platform, protecting our community from bad actors, and enabling new business products to thrive by providing easy to use and trusted payment experience. Our data science team is working to provide statistical insights and intelligent data products that will enable us to scale our platform and empower our entrepreneurs all around the world.
A Typical Day:
- Define novel metrics and their relationships to measure business success.
- Work with cross-functional partners to design and execute controlled experiment/quasi-experimental methods to quantify the effects of product changes.
- Develop methodologies to explore and exploit growth opportunities and build data products to optimize product/operational strategies in the payments sphere.
- Help our business partners understand metric trade-offs and influence business decisions.
An ideal candidate should possess a good balance of statistical/technical skills, business acumen, and communication skills. A driven individual who’s keen to solve hard business problems is desired.
- 5-9+ years in industry experience and a Master's degree/PhD in a quantitative field
- Skilled in statistical programming (Python or R) and database usage (SQL)
- Deep knowledge of statistical modeling and casual inference methodologies (including experimentation and quasi-experimental methods).
- Ability to solve complex business problems by identifying and using appropriate scientific frameworks and models
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively to cross functional partners of varying technical levels and drive impact
- Ability to translate complex findings and results into a compelling narrative
- Payments/Risk domain expertise is a strong plus
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual hourly rate is dependent upon many factors, such as: education, experience, and skills. The hourly rate is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.