Senior Software Engineer, China Search
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
The team is responsible for developing the Airbnb app and building products on backend to Airbnb guests, specifically for China guests. We are a remote team based in different cities in China, and we meet up in person regularly to collaborate, connect and celebrate.
The Difference You Will Make:
As a Senior Software Engineer in the China Outbound Search team, you will work closely with PMs, designers, data scientists and engineers across global teams to build products for Airbnb guests. You will work on projects that can span multiple areas, landing, search, pre-booking flow, etc. Also as a senior team member, you are expected to set and hold a high bar for the quality and best practices for the team, e.g. via code reviews and tech design reviews.
Search is at the core of the Airbnb marketplace that connects our guests and hosts. It helps guests find the best homes and experiences to fit their needs and wants. We collaborate with cross-functional partners to revolutionize Airbnb search experience, and advance Airbnb's mission to help anyone feel like they can belong anywhere.
A Typical Day:
- Work with cross functional partners to understand product requirements and translate them into technical solutions, help create the roadmap for the projects
- Discuss and align technical specifications and implementation details with other engineers, including cross-team engineers from Global
- Write clean, testable and maintainable code to implement the features
- Perform tech design and code reviews and advice/mentor other engineers
- When you are the POC of the projects, drive the delivery, communicate the status to stakeholders and ensure the overall quality
- 5-9+ years of industry experience with a BS/Masters or 2+ years with a PhD in hands-on software engineering role in backend or full stack development in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a large, high-scale system/product (e.g., well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms).
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work well within engineering organization and cross functions.
- Love collaborating via code reviews and architecture discussions, and are motivated to improve their teammates’ productivity
- Comfortable with tackling ambiguous problems and unblocking yourself.
- Focus on building high quality products, every one of our flows affects the business bottom line.
- Data driven in how you solve problems and validate you've solved them correctly.
- Fluent in both Chinese and English
This position is China - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Your recruiter will inform you what cities you are able to work from depending on your personal legal working identity and Airbnb internal policies.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.