Staff Technical Program Manager, Guest & Host Search
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
Airbnb’s mission is to create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. As we grow to achieve this mission, we’re looking to add a seasoned technical, hands-on, and mission-driven Technical Program Manager (TPM) to the Guest and Host Tech Search team. This person will work closely with the Director of Engineering for Search and Personalization on Search related features. They will oversee projects involving other engineering teams within and outside of Guest and Host Tech as well as work with Data Science and third party service providers.
The Community You Will Join:
Guest and Host Tech is responsible for the end-to-end guest and hosting experience. We’re responsible for a range of product surface areas including the homepage, search, booking, planning, and pre-trip/on-trip/post-trip experience for guests, as well as all the tools and surfaces that Hosts interact with. We’re also working on everything from launching new product verticals from the ground up to perfecting the existing Guest and Host journey, as well as supporting existing verticals around individual Homes, Experiences, multiple Homes, and Hotels on the platform.
The Difference You Will Make:
TPMs at Airbnb work on a variety of complex projects/ programs that touch multiple product surfaces, services, functions and teams, and hence are required to keep the big picture in focus while being able to dive into the details, working through unique challenges. It is a highly leveraged role that aims to improve the quality and velocity of work across cross-functional teams by acting as a “force multiplier”. This includes managing project schedules, identifying risks, discussing the technical trade-offs with engineers, and maintaining clear communications across multiple stakeholder groups across the organization. They make work repeatable by creating and improving processes where applicable. In short, they get things done by bringing clarity out of chaos, diving into the details, and communicating clearly and in a timely manner. They're good at building relationships, motivating others with vision, and persuading with data.
A Typical Day:
- Develop program scope and objectives, collaborate with all relevant stakeholders, ensure technical feasibility and drive projects end-to-end
- Aligning on staffing, priorities and technical dependencies within Guest & Host Tech and cross-functional teams like Payments, Trust Eng, Design and Product.
- Manage Technical Design diligence process for large programs aligning design backlog w/ project plan, scheduling reviews and pre-reviews, engaging the right stakeholders across teams, and managing meeting quality and efficiency.
- Manage effective communications to leadership and across teams on key decisions, status, and risks to ensure accountability and timeline management.
- Understand best practices, drive for process improvements, and find new ways of operating, with a focus on simplification and productivity.
- Provide visibility into key performance indicators so leaders are aware of risks and opportunities.
- In this role, you will be expected to work independently with stakeholders and cross-functional leadership with little supervision from management.
- Experience scaling yourself to effectively run complex, highly cross-functional projects where communication and influence with multiple teams and stakeholders inside and outside of engineering is imperative.
- Experience managing software projects with a high degree of scrutiny from C-suite execs.
- Proven technical domain expert for your projects. Able to effectively represent engineering decisions/solutions to other teams.
- Proven thought partner to Engineering Management or Eng Leads for your domain.
- Experience managing third party API integrations.
- Machine Learning, Data Science experience including creating unique data sets, managing evolving, real-time pipeline architecture.
- Demonstrated ability to work through ambiguity to detailed solutions. You can take a vague problem, crisply frame the challenge, identify a path forward, and drive an initiative over the finish-line.
- Self-motivated, proactive and ability to work independently with minimal oversight.
- Detail-oriented and able to understand the bigger picture by using your technical expertise and problem solving abilities to prioritize and manage blocking issues.
- Ability to ramp up quickly and learn new technologies with minimal lag time.
- Exhibit knowledge of Asana, Jira, Airtable or other equivalent task management tooling.
- BA/BS degree,10+ years of experience in software development industry with at least 7 years as a TPM
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.