Senior Staff Mobile Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
- The Quality Engineering team helps Airbnb build high-quality software efficiently. We enable Airbnb engineers to build highly testable systems. We own and continuously improve Airbnb’s test automation tools, environments and frameworks. We navigate Airbnb’s massive codebase identifying weak spots, and help design and implement testable fault-tolerant systems.
The Difference You Will Make:
- As a global company, we recognize that the tools needed to build the quality and reliability of Airbnb products used every day by our internal and external stakeholders, as well as our internal systems that are used by our global workforce, is an essential element of our contribution. Therefore, our mission is to ensure that Airbnb has the tooling and frameworks necessary to assure quality at scale.
- As a senior technical individual contributor, you will partner closely with our senior leaders across the broader technical organization. Although you will be at one of our highest levels of seniority, all individual contributors at Airbnb are Software Engineers which means we expect you to be hands on and contribute code.
- As a Senior Staff Software Engineer, you will help us meet this challenge by architecting and developing our test tools/environments/frameworks, writing and testing product/system code, leading design reviews to architect testable systems, and guiding designs and code to improve its modularity and testability.
- You are eager to understand complex systems top to bottom and thrive working across technologies and codebases. In addition, you will excel at working through ambiguity, concept validation, and implementing a best-in-class solution.
A Typical Day:
- Be the technical lead and owner of Airbnb's Automated Quality Engineering platform, working through ambiguity, concept validation and implementation of a best-in-class solution
- Build our platforms – infrastructure, applications, environments and tools using your expertise in distributed systems
- Help build out the team, cultivate innovation and growth by driving cross-collaboration and execution of projects across multiple teams
- Be a player/coach of our high-performance team to ensure code quality, commitment to craft and operational excellence
- Scale distributed applications in a highly-available 24x7 environment, make architectural trade-offs applying design patterns and disciplined execution
- Work with cross-functional teams with design, product, data science, and research partners to drive engineering decisions and influence outcomes
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering or equivalent
- 12+ years of software development experience, or 9+ years with a PhD in a fast paced, high growth tech environment
- Demonstrable knowledge in any of Java, Swift, Kotlin, Python, Typescript, Go, Rust, C/C++/C#
- Demonstrated expertise in developing testability and test automation frameworks and infrastructure for testing iOS and Android mobile applications at a large scale.
- Technical leadership: hands on experience leading project teams, setting technical direction and strategy, and working cross functionally with Product and Data Science teams
- Strong communication and collaboration skills. Demonstrated experience of working across teams and organizations on technical initiatives
- Expertise architecting and developing solutions to ambiguous problems, and integrations across multiple teams with significant impact
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.