Staff Android Engineer, Communication & Connectivity
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
We are looking for a Staff Android Engineer to join Airbnb's Communication and Connectivity Engineering team. This role will be instrumental in building and maintaining high traffic user surfaces like the inbox used for communication between hosts and guests as well as surfaces for hosts to interact between them (Co-hosting). You will have the unique career opportunity to work across multiple agile product teams and make a significant impact on our guest and host communities around the world.
A Typical Day:
- Design, develop, and refine Communication and Connectivity for the Airbnb Android app, ensuring high-quality and performant user experiences
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners such as Product Managers, Experience Designers, and Engineers to design and deliver high-quality products on Android.
- Identify areas of improvement and drive mobile best practices.
- Act as a tech lead for Android within the Communication and Connectivity organization
- Contribute to the innovation of the Android ecosystem across all of Airbnb
- Be responsible for creating technical design, performance and reliability of the inbox and other high traffic user surfaces.
- 9+ years of experience in Android product engineering at scale, with a BS/Masters degree, or 6+ years with a PhD.
- Expertise building and maintaining high-performance and scalable consumer Android applications, preferably using Kotlin and Jetpack Compose. Experience with Motion is a big plus.
- Excellent problem-solving, debugging, and optimization skills.
- Strong collaboration skills with experience driving alignment with and influencing cross functional and cross organization teams.
- You possess a passion for innovating on Android and broadly in the mobile industry.
- [Bonus] Prior experience building communication features and products.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. Airbnb,Inc. can employ in states where we have registered entities. Currently, employees can not be located in: Alaska, Indiana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Alabama, Mississippi, Oklahoma, Delaware and Rhode Island. This list is continuously evolving and being updated. Please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.